Monday, February 22, 2010

In Her Shoes

I thought that I would change things up a bit and add a new voice to this blog by having my mom write an entry reflecting on her time in Peru and especially in Huanuco since she is the only one from my family who got to really experience what my life is like.

I had a really great time with my family while they were visiting Peru and I was so glad that I could share this country that I've fallen in love with with the people that I love.

And now without further adieu... My mother -
Hello to everyone who visits Sarah's blog. I'm Renee, Sarah's mom and Sarah has asked me to write about my experience in Peru. So now after a good bit of time to reflect on my time in Peru, I am finally getting some of my thoughts and feelings put together in this writing.

We(myself, Sarah's dad Larry, and sister Jill, as well as Jill's friend Melissa) arrived in Lima late the night of January 1st and began our journey in this unfamiliar country. From the time we left the arirport we were totally in Sarah's hands to communicate for us for all our needs including negotiating prices for taxis ordering our food, and of course shopping. It was a new experience to suddenly be almost completely dependent upon your child for everything. She took the responsibility firmly in her hands and was a very competent guide during our entire trip.


We as a family (plus an "adopted" daughter) had a wonderful trip to Cuzco and Machu Picchu. We moved from one amazing incredible place to another each with their own uniqueness. When in Cuzco area our guide Juan Carols had an extensive knowledge but more importantly an intense passion for the ruins near Cuzco. He spoke of the spiritual aspect of how the now ruins of Ollantaytambo and Saqsaywaman were built. The Incans truly had a great reverence and respect for the earth and what the Creator provided for them through this earth.


After a couple of days in the Cuzco area we moved on to Machu Picchu. As I walked through the ruins of Machu Picchu I had such a respect of how the Incans built on and among those mountains with such thorough planning and execution of those plans that the buildings looked as if they were a part of the mountains. While standing hte midst of this rightly titled Wonder of the World, the beloved hym How Great Thou Art, frequently flowed through my mind. "Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, consider all the worlds thy hands have made"... Machu Picchu and the people who built and inhabited thouse mountains are certainly God's creation.

I could spend pages on the amazing and interesting sites in those aboce placdes but I think I want to spend more time writing on my time with Sarah in Huanuco. She and I said good-bye to the rest of the family as they returned to the U.S., then we took the 9 hour bus ride from Lima to Huanuco. Huanuco is a very unassuming community without the spoils of tourism, but a busy small city nonetheless. It also was surrounded by small mountains with lovely scenery in all directions. I now was going to see how Sarah is living. Upon arriving in the Camarena's home I was welcomed with the traditional kiss on the cheek and shown to Sarah's room where they had arranged a bed and space for me. With a true sense of hospitality they reconized our need to rest for the remainder of the morning and gave us time together much as tehy did most of my visit there. Any concerns I might have had regarding the people Sarah was living with were quickly eliminating in meeting this welcoming family.

After Sarah and I had rested and were rejuvenated we took off to see the town. As I walked down the streets and along the park, I could hardly recognize anything that seemed in any way familiar. The sites, sounds, and smells were very different from Jenks/Tulsa, Oklahoma. But Sarah moved through this environment with an ease and comfort, and if she was nervous she never showed it. She made me feel comfortable as she lead me though her new home community. We experienced The Market, the place where most all groceries and others items of necessity are purchased. This place certainly took an opening up of preconceived notions of marketing and overall sanitation expecations. There were no refrigerated cases holding the meats, no sealed bins holding bulk food items, and certainly no obvious rhyme or reason asto where items were located. We wove through this market that offered items from frest meats, vegetables and other food stuffs to clothing and even toys. We came across some booths offering the unusual items we saw was a type of fermented potato [Sarah's note: This is a traditional delicacy in this region called takosh. It smells horrible, I always have to hold my breath when while passing by it, but I've been told by people here that it tastes good. I haven't gotten up the courage or the stomach to try it yet.] Our response was "yuck" but it was an obviously popular food item for many in the area.

We returned home that evening to a wonderful meal of Aji de Gallina [Sarah's note: my favorite Peruvian dish!]. Aji de Gallina is a common meal consisting of yellow potatoes, some shredded chicken, with a spicy cheese sauce served over rice. It was very tasty and satisfying after a busy day. It felt pretty uncomfortable having to sit as an outsider as I cound not understand the dinner conversation. But I did love the meal blessing at the beginning of the meal as I understood, "Gracias Senor." In understanding only the thank you Lord part of the prayer, I could share in that thankfulness for so much.

The next day Sarah tooke to the Paz y Esperanza office and I met many of her co-workers was introduced to much of what the organization does. Each person had a quite unassuming approach to their part of the mission of the organization. Later that day we were able to go out to farm, la granja. The farm is a fully operating farm with milk, cattle, cuy (guinea pigs), chickens, and small gardens that produce many fruits and vegetables. We walked down to the area wher the new shelter was being built. The complex is to have housing for women and children, mostly adolescent girls, who need a temporary place to stay while their abusers face prosecution and Paz y Esperanza is working to find them a permanent placement. It was this trip that I got to experience "Peruvian time." We rode to the farm with the director of Paz y Esperanza with the expectation that we would be there 2-3 hours. About 8 hours later we were back in truck finally making our way back to Huanuco. While spending time more time at the farm than we expected kept us from doing some other things in Huanuco it gave Sarah and me some time to simply hang out and be together with specific expectations or plans. I enjoyed this quiet time together.

With that evening being our last one together we found a movie to watch on her computer and laughed during this odd event of watching a movie with Spanish subtitles and poor video quality. I will remember that evening as one fo the best moments we spent together.

The next morning we spent a short time in the city and Sarah took me to the bus station for me to return to Lima. I'm sure the sight of thse two Anglo women hugging and crying during our goodbyes was an interesting sight for the locals, but I think they understood. I left Sarah knowing she was well incorporated into her new family and work community. I know she feels she is still in the early stages of her ability to communicate and in many ways she is, but she has certainly grown and developed in that area since leaving the U.S.



I want to end my part of this blog with a note of admiration and respect for the passion all of these young adults serving the Presbyterian Church as YAVs. They are committed, enthusiastic, and bring pure motives in working to bring the love of Christ to their brothers and sisters in this far away country. I pray for each of them as they countinue their journey and wish them well as they grow in faith and compassion for the world beyond their own backyards.

I close now with the English.... Peace and Hope.

Love and blessings to you Sarah and all the YAVs in Peru, other countries, and in the U.S.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Sarah I almost got a little teary-eyed! Tara

    ReplyDelete